Design & delivery process
Fairweather Homes operates throughout Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific. Before we get started we offer a complimentary one hour consultation either in person at our office or via the phone or skype (depending on your location). This meeting will allow you to get to know us and establish a broad design brief for your project. With this briefing information we can then provide costing, timing and design advice for your particular needs on your proposed site.
Fairweather Homes has a four step design & delivery process which will take you efficiently through to the completion of your new home. Once you are ready to proceed, our four-step process will commence.
Step 1: Design, presentation & cost estimate
- Sign agreement to prepare Sketch Design & pay deposit
- Confirm the design brief and other requirements, meet on site to discuss building siting*, discuss timing and budget, gather all information required to proceed with sketch plan.
- Prepare sketch plan including indicative elevations
- Present sketch plan and cost estimate, incorporate feedback and prepare to finalise design documents
- Presentation of town planning permit documents if required
Step 2: Documents for building permit & construction
- Sign agreement to prepare Documents & pay deposit
- Selection of finishes & equipment for inclusion in detailed building plans
- Collation of site and authorities information documents
- Geotechnical investigation, structural certification, energy report
- Preparation of documents for building permit
- Preparation of documents for construction & finalise costings
- Review and finalise construction documents
- Submit for authorities permissions
Step 3: Documents & purchase agreement
- Sign purchase agreement
- Coordinate documentation of all components to be manufactured & complete take off of all items to be provided
Step 4: Manufacture, delivery & installation
- Coordinate the manufacture and delivery to the site of all supply items
A registered builder (or approved owner builder) will need to be engaged by the owner and a building permit obtained to commence construction. Fairweather Homes is not a registered builder.
Each project is unique and will therefore be costed differently.
Completed building costs range between $1,800 to $2,100 per square metre depending on type of building, finishes, complexity, location & inclusions
The cost of what we supply ranges from around one third to one half of the build cost depending on inclusions.
- Walls: Timber structural wall frames, insulation, membrane, bracing, external wall sheet cladding, flashings, sealants & fixings
- Windows & doors: Timber framed windows & external doors, flyscreens, locks, trims, flashings, seals & fixings
- Roof: Timber roof framing, bracing, timber roof battens, exposed internal timber linings, verandah posts, verandah beams, eaves linings, membrane, ceiling insulation, metal roofing, capping & flashings, rainwater goods, brackets, sealants & fixings
- Sketch plan drawings
- Town planning drawings**
- Architectural construction drawings and specifications
- Construction manual & kit components drawings
- Documents for building permit & structural certification
- Site visit & building siting*
- Architectural sketch design
- Sustainability advisory service
- Energy & water consultancy
- Colour & materials selection
- Architectural detailing & documentation
- Technical advice during construction
- Consultant coordination
- Floor: Timber subfloor, structural floor lining, insulation, brackets & fixings
- External: Timber subfloor, decking, pergola timbers, battens, brackets & fixings
- Domestic electric or gas hot water service
- Solar hot water service
- Bathroom exhaust fans
- Kitchen range hood
- Cooktop & under bench oven
- Stainless steel kitchen sink & mixer
- Toilet suite, bath, vanity basin, shower head, outlets & tapsets
- Laundry trough, outlet, tapset & washing machine stop taps
- Kitchen, bathroom & laundry joinery
- Wardrobes & hall cupboards
- Waste water treatment system
- Solar photovoltaic system
- Space heater or solid fuel heater
- Sheet plasterboard
- Trims, architraves & skirtings
- Awnings & shading devices
- Bushfire shutters
- Floor & wall tiles
- Internal doors
* site visits are charged at cost for distances greater than 50km from Melbourne CBD (negotiable)
** not all projects need planning approval however for those that do we seek additional fees to manage the town planning process
^ there may be additional costs associated with this item
^^ fitout & electrical & plumbing items are not part of the standard supply however these can be supplied as optional extra packages
Standard inclusions subject to change
Range of building types
Clients are able to select from a range of five house design series as the starting point for their new home design. The Design, Freedom, Micro, Metro and Export Series focus on providing different types of housing solutions for a wide variety of local and international situations.
Please enquire to find out which series is most suitable for you.
The Design Series is the most popular series for customised family homes is the Design Series as it provides the most flexibility and adaptability. All of the features of the Fairweather Homes design system can be incorporated to provide housing solutions with unlimited single and multi-storey configurations.
The Micro Series is the heart of the Fairweather Homes design system. This compact and expandable self-contained unit is suitable for small and repetitive applications such as granny flats, holiday units, multiple serviced accommodation, the resources sector and resorts.
The Freedom Series is a single-storey home with the opportunity to expand and contract the house size around a centralised zone of kitchen and bathrooms. This series is suitable for single or multiple housing, including applications such as institutional, government and mining settlement housing.
The Metro Series provides an economical pre-fabricated solution for compact metropolitan sites with a focus on energy efficiency. Our range of designs provide an adaptable and affordable contemporary design for residential subdivisions, open plan living dining and kitchen with small home office studio or to build a compact two-storey residence.
The Export Series refers to our capacity to deliver to all areas outside Australia, particularly New Zealand, Southe East Asia and the Pacific regions.
Each project will be costed individually.
Please enquire to find out which series is most suitable for you.
Fairweather Homes is a well-known and respected company with a proven record in providing innovative and affordable award-winning housing solutions. The company’s mission is to deliver high quality affordable architect designed sustainable modular buildings.
The focus of Fairweather Homes is in the development and management of innovative modular building systems and procurement methods for all types of low and medium rise construction. House designs are prepared by an experienced architect who uses the flexible construction system to create customised designs to suit the specific functional and spatial needs of the individual owner or end user. Careful attention is paid to the site orientation, location, environment, climate and energy efficiency.
The standard range of materials can be varied to customise the building appearance to suit the owners’ taste, climatic conditions, bushfire areas and harsh coastal environments. The unique modular design system allows construction time and cost to be carefully controlled while maintaining quality and durability.
Fairweather Homes has gathered many awards over the years, particularly for construction, design, energy efficiency and environmental sustainability. Fairweather Homes has built its reputation on delivering high-quality customised housing to individual families throughout metropolitan and rural Australia.
Over 400 homes have been built in Victoria and throughout Australia, where the business has been operating continuously for over 30 years. With strengths in architectural design, project management and construction, Fairweather Homes is able to deliver housing to suit a broad range of needs.
We take a consultative approach through all phases of design and construction. This approach is suited to working with a diverse range of clients, particularly with individual home owners, community based and government housing organisations.
Fairweather Homes works closely with Modus Architects and is able to draw on their expertese at all stages through the design and delivery process. We also maintain contact with a broad network of sustainability, education, social, environmantal and humanitarian networks where our projects are uniquely suited.
Paul Adams – Director
Paul has worked with Fairweathwer Homes since 1999. He is a registered architect and has a wealth of experience in local government, educational, community and private building and master planning projects as well as single and multiple housing in australia and overseas.
- Forest Stewardship Council – An international network to promote responsible management of the world’s forests
- Alternative Technology Association – Australia’s leading not-for-profit organisation promoting sustainable technology and practice
- PrefabAUS – representing, showcasing and advancing Australia’s prefabricated building industry
Paul Adams – ARBV: 16146 / BOAQ: 3684 / NSWARB: 9954 / NZRAB: 5159
FAIRWEATHER HOMES PTY LTD
Australian Proprietory Company Limited by Shares
ACN: 150 154 724
ABN: 96 150 154 724
- Your Home Technical Manual
- The Australian Database of Timber
- University of Tasmania – Centre for Sustainable Architecture with Wood
- Alternative Technology Association
- PrefabAUS – prefabrication association in Australia
- Wood Solutions
- FSC Australia
- Timber Merchants Association
Suppliers & consultants:
- MODUS Architects – architectural consulting
- Floyd Energy – energy ratings
- Capeview Truss & Frames – wall and roof frame manufacturer
- Pryda – timber fixing & fabrication systems
- MiTek – timber fixing & fabrication systems
- Carter Holt Harvey – structural timber & plywood
- Stegbar – windows & doors
- Stramit – roofing & rainwater goods
- Kingspan – Air Cell products
- Reece – bathroom & plumbing products